BiSA is a database driven software and stores all of its data in a relational database management system (RDBMS) such as SQL Server in Windows or PostgreSQL on Linux.
BiSA for Windows
It is required that you install SQL Server before you install BiSA. So there are three steps:
- Download the BiSA package and unzip.
- Install Microsoft SQL Server and restore BiSA database or if you have previously installed BiSA database, then delete the database and restore from the new version.
- Run BiSA.exe
BiSA for Linux runs under Galaxy
BiSA for MacOS/Linux/Unix is written in Python and PostgreSQL, and is designed to run under Galaxy. Galaxy is a web-based platform which is designed for intensive biomedical research.
- Follow the Galaxy's official guidelines to install Galaxy then install PostgreSQL.
- If your database server is on different machine than your web front-end then you would have to configure pg_hba.conf to allow connections from your web front-end machine. Make sure that your firewall is open for PostgreSQL port (default is 5432), if PostgreSQL is installed on Windows 7 machine then allow incoming connections to the port 5432 using Windows Firewall with Advanced Security under Control Panel.
- Download BiSA Linux package (source code and database backup file) from the download page.
- Create a new database and name it bisa.
- Restore database by following command:
pg_restore --host=localhost --port=5432 --username=your_db_username --password --dbname=bisa /backup_location/bisa_pg_0.xxx.backup
- Create a directory named bisa in tools directory of galaxy installation typically /galaxy-dist/tools/bisa/
- Copy all (*.py and *.xml) files in /galaxy-dis/tools/bisa/
- Add a new section in /galaxy-dist/tools_conf.xml by dropping the following lines:
<section name="BiSA" id="BiSA">
<tool file="bisa/importdatasets.xml" />
<tool file="bisa/browsekb.xml" />
<tool file="bisa/analysis.xml" />
<tool file="bisa/statsign.xml" />
<tool file="bisa/annotation.xml" />
- Restart Galaxy by sh run.sh and open Galaxy in a browser. A new section BiSA should appear on the left column.